Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Politics of Prevarication

There was a very telling exchange between Sen. Jeff Sessions and Sen. Chuck Schumer on PBS, 2/15/05. One of them lied, care to guess which one?

Sen Jeff Sessions: I need to respond to that. First of all, judges that came up under President Clinton I objected to, but when a cloture motion was filed, every single time I voted for cloture to give them an up and down vote because I never believed they should be filibustered. Sen Schumer, on the other hand, when President Clintonwas there and said it made a mockery of the constitution not to allow judges to have an up or down vote.

Sen Chuck Schumer: I didn't say that.

Sen Jeff Sessions: Yes, you did, I've got a quote.

Sen. Chuck Schumer: No.

Hmmmm, can't both be right, now can they

March 07, 2000 Senate nominations of Richard A Paez and Marsha L Berz

Sen Schumer: I also plead with my colleagues to move on judges with alacrity-vote them up or down. But this delay makes a mockery of the constitution makes a mockery of the fact that we are working, and makes a mockery of the lives of very sincere people who have put themselves forward to be judges and then they hang out there in limbo...

Appears we have our answer.

No comments: