Wednesday, February 16, 2005

The Politics of Prevarication

There was a very telling exchange between Sen. Jeff Sessions and Sen. Chuck Schumer on PBS last night. One of them lied, care to guess which one?

Sen Jeff Sessions: I need to respond to that. First of all, judges that came up under President Clinton I objected to, but when a cloture motion was filed, every single time I voted for cloture to give them an up and down vote because I never believed they should be filibustered. Sen Schumer, on the other hand, when President Clintonwas there and said it made a mockery of the constitution not to allow judges to have an up or down vote.

Sen Chuck Schumer: I didn't say that.

Sen Jeff Sessions: Yes, you did, I've got a quote.

Sen. Chuck Schumer: No.

Hmmmm, can't both be right, now can they

March 07, 2000 Senate nominations of Richard A Paez and Marsha L Berzon

Sen Schumer: I also plead with my colleagues to move on judges with alacrity-vote them up or down. But this delay makes a mockery of the constitution makes a mockery of the fact that we are working, and makes a mockery of the lives of very sincere people who have put themselves forward to be judges and then they hang out there in limbo....

Appears we have our answer.

1 comment:

Zek said...

Whatever CBS does, it's a lose-lose situation for them.